Your First Experience Floating
November 7, 2016
If you’ve already read about the benefits of floating on our website, then you know that doing it regularly can have a major positive impact on your health and well-being.
But, you probably still have questions about what your first experience floating will actually be like. Here’s a typical, and very authentic, post-float reaction by UFC champion Jens Pulver
Everyone’s experience of floating is unique in important ways, and is even different from one float to the next. For your first float, though, here are 5 things you should keep in mind so you can optimize your time spent in the pod:
- Avoid consuming caffeine or other stimulants before your float and you will go deeper and be less likely to experience a restless mind.
- Try not to shave right before your float. If you happen to do so, you might experience some mild stinging from the high salt content of the water. The feeling will be gone within a few minutes, but it’s not particularly relaxing.
- Do some light stretching or exercise before your float so that your body will be relieved of excess physical energy. This will make it much easier to lie still in the water, facilitating a deeper experience.
- Arrive a little early, and leave a little late. Plan for extra time beforehand to do some meditation or deep breathing in our lounge. Then, even more importantly, spend as much time as you need in our meditation garden after your float to integrate your experience and re-acclimate your mind and body.
- Bring an intention, not an expectation. Floating is a journey, and it is very important to be open to whatever the experience brings to you and reveals about you. Every float is different from the next and each one is valuable; and, sometimes the floats that are the most challenging ones are the best opportunities to make personal progress.
With each float, you will get more and more comfortable with your surroundings and with the act of letting go. As with anything, the more you do it, the better you’ll get at it.
Be patient with yourself and you will be rewarded!
#HelloPotentialBack to All Post Book Your Next Float